Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Saturday

Greek Orthodox Easter coincides with Catholic Easter this year and spend it with the K's.

They have church as well and they spend it a little bit like our Christmas. They go to mass from 9pm onwards - OMG! their version of 'mass' lasts for hours! I have been to a few but the only thing stopping me from going more is that I don't understand a word they are saying. Greek Orthodox is very traditional and 'old skool'. I like that everyone gets dressed to go to church - brings back memories of those days when I was young and getting dressed pretty for church.

It's very casual here in Australia - but I supposed going to mass and making sure that the message of mass is more important than what you look like. I need to go to church more - I enjoyed going with L before.

Anyways we didn't end up going to mass with P's parents though we did go to the K's at Redfern. They eat a bopis like soup and something a little like arroz caldo for something very similar to a noche buena! Then they get hard boiled painted eggs and smack them into each other and if your egg doesn't crack, then you win. Then you get to eat the egg.. pretty fun.

As mentioned before they have very similar things to ours but then again the modern world would be based on the foundation of Greek culture. Hello - Greek history goes way way way back. So much back than filipino history.

I'm glad that my kids (when I have them) will be immersed to two very different yet similar cultures. I mentioned it to P the other day as to what church we are going to get married in and what religionn our kids will be.. he said he hasn't thought that far ahead. If you ask me - he probably doesn't even want to go there. I wish sometimes he would be more open with this thoughts on this.

Because it's highly unlikely that I will convert - I am not super religious but I am very spiritual and I think that if we were going to get married - i would prefer Catholic ceremony or just the courts. Nothing against Greek orthodox or anything but when i try to find out about it from P, he knows very little about it and that doesn't really encourage me to follow it.

Anyways... that's like opening another can of worms. I guess we have to cross the bridge when we get to it.

Peace. happy easter

No comments:

Post a Comment